Sam "SamSim" Hughes is one of this wiki's administrators, representing The Elite. First and foremost a Perfect Dark player, he shot to fame shortly after his July 2001 PDE debut by penning Defection For Dummies, the first and most detailed guide for the recently-discovered Defection glitch. Along with numerous other contributions to the videogaming community, Sam is perhaps best-known for being the author of How To Destroy The Earth.
Sam joined the Elite in July 2001 and played Perfect Dark continuously between then and his first retirement in early July 2002, having peaked at rank 53rd in points and 51st in time. His notable PD times include 1:15 Villa A, 3:01 Investigation PA, 0:16 Chicago A and 0:27 War A, the latter two of which were world records at the time. He is a proud member of the 3-4-5 club (Agent times all under 3:00, SA all under 4:00, PA all under 5:00), and has also pulled off an 11-0 win in Challenge 30. However, he was mainly known for his intensely detailed strategy guides, and his community contributions, such as:
- designing the current appearance of the Perfect Dark Elite records page
- creating The Totalizer for PD and GE
- creating One On One for PD & GE
- running the Ultimate GE vs PD poll (side note: GoldenEye is winning, barely)
- making and contributing to so many great topics it ain't even funny
- founding the annual l33t Awards in 2001
- writing the future history of the PDE
- fabricating an IMDb page about Perfect Dark: The Movie
- fabricating an entire ezboard thread about Perfect Dark Zero, and accurately predicting one of the level names ("Demolition") FOUR YEARS BEFORE IT WAS RELEASED
Later career, 2002 to 2005
Sam spent several years playing Perfect Dark extremely intermittently after "retiring", devoting his attention instead to (in approximate order):
- Super Monkey Ball
- peaked around rank 53
- peaked at rank 1 with all three world records
- first person to discover you could go under certain levels
- penned the definitive AstroLander FAQ
- peaked around 50th on the UK national rankings
- Sonic Mega Collection
- The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
- scored 34 in Letter Sorting
- Half-Life 2
- The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
- obtained a single-segment time of 5 hours 41 minutes
- masterminded the route for Mike Damiani's 5 hour 4 minute world record run and devised many of the tricks he used en route, including the optimal Water Temple route
- claimed Twin Galaxies' Mask and Skulltula run bounty with a time of less than 7 hours
Sam drifted away from the videogaming community over this period, in favour of maintaining his personal website (then known as Sam's Archive), writing for Everything2 and concentrating on his studies at Corpus Christi College, Cambridge University. He stopped posting at the Elite message board entirely in May 2004.
2005 to present
Sam graduated from Cambridge with a 2:1 in Mathematics in June 2005, and returned to active status within the Elite community soon afterwards. He was partly responsible for coming up with the whole idea of Speedrunwiki.
He occasionally creates Elite-themed Dinosaur Comics.
Sam's current projects are:
- Getting into the Four Minute Club in Perfect Dark (currently 4:03 Attack Ship PA is his only outstanding time)
- Mathematically determining the minimum number of points needed to get into the Two Hour Club in Perfect Dark
- Writing a book and many other things
- Getting a job
Oh, and his personal hygiene is above reproach.
- Things Of Interest, Sam's personal site
- How To Destroy The Earth
- SamSim's Perfect Dark records page
- Sam's Elite Contest History